So you’ve been considering a new Keurig machine, but you’re at a loss. With so many models out there, how do you know which machine will fit your lifestyle the best? We’ll compare two compact models, the Keurig K-Mini and the Keurig K-Slim, to determine which machine is the king of compact convenience.
Founded in 1992, Keurig is the original manufacturer of single-serve brewers and coffee pods. As Keurig’s popular coffee makers swept the coffee-loving world, their convenience and the variety of devices made them a top name in the world of coffee makers.
"The best coffee pod I've ever tasted"
Yes, we mean that. Finally, specialty coffee for your KCup machine, roasted fresh to your order by our friends at Atlas Coffee in Austin, TX! Get 50% OFF to try it with code ROASTYPODS
Keurig knows what its customers want: simplicity and minimal functionality. While the higher-end Keurig machines will give you more features and better control over the coffee brewing process, their small and minimally designed models are perfect for those who want to press a button and have a delicious cup of coffee in their hands a few minutes later.
Both machines are slim from the front, measuring just under five inches wide. This makes them incredibly convenient for small kitchens and places where counter space is tight. At this size, they’re also travel-friendly if you can’t bear to be away from your Keurig while on the road.
Aesthetically, they both look very similar, with sleek, round designs and minimalist interfaces in the front. They’re meant to operate with very little fuss or frills, so those who want a simple and clean look from their coffee maker will love both options.
The placement of the water reservoir is slightly different on each machine. On the Keurig K-Slim, the water tank is located at the back of the machine, making it harder to refill for some users. For convenience, the coffee maker should always be placed in an area where you can easily access the back.
However, the Keurig Mini has a smaller water reservoir located at the top of the machine that can easily be filled by simply opening the hinged flap on top of the device.
Another key difference is how many ounces of filtered water each water tank can hold. The Keurig Mini only holds enough tap water to brew between 6 and 12 ounces of coffee, but the Keurig K-Slim has a more generous 46-ounce reservoir.
Keurig K-Slim vs. Keurig K-Mini: A Side-By-Side Comparison
The Keurig K-Mini coffee maker is one of the more popular machines that Keurig offers, and it’s easy to see why. For a specific buyer, its small, compact footprint and bare-bones interface is just the kind of simplicity a coffee lover needs in the morning.
It’s an inexpensive personal coffee maker for those just getting started with coffee brewing or who want a hassle-free, minimalist experience. But its single-cup brewing system won’t work for larger groups, and it’s not a great option for those who want a lot of control over the brewing process.
Things We Like:
- The Keurig Mini brews anywhere from 6 to 12 ounces at a time, perfect for a single user to brew a cup of coffee.
- It’s compatible with all K-Cups, which means there’s a nearly endless variety of flavors available to choose from.
- It’s also compatible with the reusable K-Cup coffee pod. That means you can grind your own beans or use preground beans if you prefer (it’s a great eco-friendly option!).
- This K-cup brewer is much more affordable than many Keurig models, making it a great starter brewer for someone who just needs the bare minimum.
- The Keurig K-Mini is compact and lightweight. It’s an extremely travel-friendly option for those who need to take their coffee machine on the road.
- This machine is available in a variety of colors, which means it can fit into any kitchen design or color scheme.
- The provided storage container can hold up to 9 K-Cup Pods at one time.
- With its incredibly simple three-button user interface, this machine is extremely easy to use.
- The removable water reservoir makes the machine easy to clean, and the removable drip tray is perfect for travel mugs.
Things We Don’t Like:
- This machine is as simple as it gets, with none of the bells and whistles of Keurig’s higher-end models. So it may not be for everyone, especially if you want more control over your coffee cup.
- It only brews a single cup at a time, which can be great for lone coffee lovers but can be a massive headache if you have multiple coffee drinkers in one household.
The Bottom Line
The Keurig K-Mini is a simple and intuitive machine that does the absolute bare minimum, brewing you a quick and flavorful cup of coffee. While it’s light on features, it’s also light on bulk or unnecessary bells and whistles.
If you’re a single coffee drinker who’s looking for an inexpensive and compact coffee machine that does one job and does it well, you’ll love the Keurig Mini. It’s a great option for cramped spaces such as studio apartments or college dorm rooms where a larger coffee machine just won’t cut it.
While the Mini is the best option for a single user who only wants to brew one cup at a time, the Keurig K-Slim is an excellent option if you’re looking for a machine for multiple users. The sleek, minimalist design is similar to the K-Mini, but with room for much more fresh water for brewing and three preset brew sizes.
The massive 46-ounce water reservoir makes this an excellent machine for families and larger groups, but its non-removable design could be inconvenient for some users.
Things We Like:
- This machine is an upgrade to Keurig’s newest operating system for quiet, rich brewing.
- The machine doesn’t have pod-scanning technology, so it can brew K-Cup or unlicensed pods. You can also grind your own beans and brew them in reusable pods.
- At just under five inches wide, this machine will fit anywhere in your kitchen and save tons of space on your countertop.
- The water reservoir holds a generous 46 ounces, despite the machine being the same size as the K-Mini.
- Setup for the K-Slim is simple, and you can start brewing coffee in a matter of minutes. Even with its intuitive and easy-to-use design, the instruction book will help users learn everything they want to know about their coffee maker.
- Due to the K-Slims simple design, brewing is fast and easy. You can brew a full cup of coffee in just a few minutes.
- The removable drip tray makes for easy cleanup and allows more room for travel mugs measuring up to seven inches tall.
Things We Don’t:
- At only 30 inches long, the cord is relatively short, and the machine will have to be situated near an outlet, limiting where it can go in certain kitchens.
- While it offers a little more control than the Keurig K-Mini, there are no brew strength or temperature control features, which can be a disappointment for some brewers who like more features in their drip coffee machines.
- The fixed water reservoir is located at the back of the machine and could feel inconvenient to fill. Also, cleanup is more difficult compared to the removable reservoir in the K-Mini.
- The machine doesn’t come with an included water filter kit, which could disappoint users who rely on filtering their water. In this case, using prefiltered bottled water in the machine should help to prevent mineral buildup and lack of performance.
The Bottom Line
At less than five inches wide, the Keurig K-Slim still has all the convenience of a compact brewer but is better suited for families and those who need more from their machine than they can get with the Keurig Mini.
Its generous 46-ounce water tank and removable drip tray make it much easier to accommodate multiple users every morning, and it’s easy to fill travel mugs when you’re on the go.
Are You a Single User?
These machines are excellent basic coffee makers that will do everything you need them to do for a simple cup of coffee in the morning. But each machine is the perfect coffee maker for a different kind of user.
If you’re a single user living alone, and you don’t expect anyone else to use your machine, go with the K-Mini. Sure, it can only brew up to a 12-ounce cup, but for most single users, that won’t matter. Just brew another serving of coffee since it only takes a couple of minutes!
However, if you live in a household with multiple coffee drinkers, you can still get the best of both worlds with the K-Slim. It combines the simple and sleek design of the Mini with a larger water reservoir and preset cup sizes, perfect for brewing multiple cups of coffee all at once.
K-Cups or Coffee Grounds?
One great feature of these machines that we love is that they’re compatible with other cups and pods, not just Keurig-licensed cups. That means you can choose to use off-brand K-cups, or if you want a little more say in what coffee you drink, you can get reusable cups and fill them with your fresh coffee grounds!
We love that these machines are versatile enough to accommodate all kinds of delicious coffee and aren’t limited to the officially licensed brands. So, even with a Keurig, you can still enjoy all your favorite brands, varieties, and roasts, ground exactly how you want every single time.
When comparing these convenient coffee makers, make sure you consider your lifestyle and how many people will be using your machine regularly. If you’re looking for a compact single-serve brewer for one person, the Keurig Mini is the perfect no-frills option for you. But if you want something that can accommodate more than one person, you’re better off with the K-slim.
If you’re looking for a happy medium, we’d recommend the Keurig K-Compact, which offers a 3-4 cup reservoir but all the minimalist design features of the Keurig K-Mini.
Take the time to familiarize yourself with your machine and learn all there is to know about it, and you’ll have flawless coffee in no time!