If you’re in the market for a new home coffee or espresso machine, then you must have heard of Nespresso during your search. Espresso machines combine all of the convenience of single-serve coffee capsule machines with the delicious brew of a high-end espresso machine.
But which one should you choose? If you’ve narrowed it down to the Nespresso VertuoPlus and the VertuoPlus Deluxe, check out this guide to determine which one is right for you.
About Nespresso Coffee Machines
Nespresso Machines: A Quick Overview
Nespresso machines use small aluminum capsules filled with coffee grounds. The capsules are sealed airtight and locked into the machine’s capsule container. When you press a button, water is forced through a tiny hole in the top of the capsule as part of the infusion process, and the coffee is brewed.
The capsules also keep the coffee fresh, and there are no manual control settings on this automatic coffee maker for the user to figure out. The appeal of Nespresso machines is that anyone can have a consistent coffee brewing experience to create a delicious, quality espresso with just the touch of a button.
The Nespresso Company was founded by a Swiss man named Eric Favre in 1976. The company started as a joint venture between Nestle and GEPA, a German coffee company. The original idea was to create a system that would make it easy for people to make high-quality espressos at home.
Today, Nespresso is one of the most popular coffee brands in the world and sells its products in over 64 countries. They sell a vast range of single-serve espresso machines and an array of coffee pods.
For a quick overview of a Nespresso machine at work, check out this YouTube video:
Who is a Nespresso Machine Best Suited For?
There are many great things about Nespresso’s line of home espresso machines, but we recognize that not all coffee machines are suited for every coffee drinker. If you’re looking for specific features, consider whether a Nespresso Vertuo machine will fit your needs.
So who should consider a Nespresso machine over the hundreds of other options out there?
- Those who want a delicious double espresso with just the press of a simple, one-touch brewing button or have no interest in developing their barista skills on a manual espresso machine will likely love the single-serve one-button coffee brewing system that Nespresso provides. No need to learn how to grind beans or pull an espresso shot!
- There’s minimal cleanup and maintenance, perfect for the coffee drinker who doesn’t want to bother with maintaining a machine over the long term.
- Those who want to make a variety of specialty coffee recipes, not just plain espresso, will enjoy the versatility of the Nespresso VertuoPlus machines.
Are there any downsides to a Nespresso machine?
The biggest drawback is that you don’t have as much control over the espresso-making process. Those who want to control the grind size, water temperature, cup size, and other settings may find the Nespresso machines somewhat limiting, no matter which model you choose.
There’s also the issue of capsules. The Nespresso VertuoLine machines have a proprietary scanning system that works with compatible Nespresso capsules. The capsules have a special barcode on the lid that the system scans to determine the type of capsule being brewed, so they don’t work with any other third-party capsules (unlike the OriginalLine machines).
What drinks can you make with these machines?
There are a lot of different drinks you can make with a Nespresso machine. You can make coffee, espresso, cappuccinos, lattes, and even a Nespresso-exclusive drink called a lungo.
What’s a lungo, you ask? Nespresso lungo drinks are espresso-based drinks made by pulling double the amount of water through the dark roast coffee grounds, resulting in a light and smooth drink with a slightly sweet flavor.
The point is, there’s really no limit to the kinds of authentic coffee drinks you can create with a Nespresso machine and the right type of coffee capsule. Basically, any coffee drink that you can make with a shot of espresso, you can make with your Nespresso machine. If you’re stumped and looking for inspiration, you can find recipes for many different drinks online!
The Nespresso VertuoPlus vs. Nespresso VertuoPlus Deluxe: A Side-by-Side Comparison
Nespresso coffee makers have garnered a lot of attention in the past few years. The original VertuoPlus coffee machine was released in early 2016 and quickly became a favorite among coffee drinkers.
The machine uses Nespresso’s patented centrifusion brewing system, which spins standard capsules at up to 7000 revolutions per minute to create delicious cups of barista-quality coffee without the traditional pressure system of a regular espresso machine.
Then, Nespresso announced the release of its newest coffee machine, the VertuoPlus Deluxe. The machine offers all the features of the original VertuoPlus, but with a few bonuses. Both the VertuoPlus and the VertuoPlus Deluxe are two of Nespresso’s most popular models. But what are the key differences between the two? And which one is better for you?
The Nespresso Virtuoplus
The Nespresso VertuoPlus is a single-serve coffee machine that has been designed to make your regular morning coffee and espresso. The Nespresso VertuoPlus is an innovative coffee maker that uses Nespresso’s patented extraction technology to create rich espresso and lungo drinks with a perfect crema layer.
The machine is designed for use with Nespresso Vertuo capsules, which come in a variety of blends and flavors. The VertuoPlus also has a variety of settings that allow users to customize their drinks with their coffee preferences, including the coffee size and strength. In addition, the machine comes with a built-in milk frother that enables users to create cappuccinos and lattes quickly and easily.
Things We Like:
- It’s a straightforward machine with an easy-to-use single-button interface.
- It produces rich, full-bodied espresso with a thick crema-like layer due to centrifusion technology.
- This model is very versatile and offers the ability to make just about any espresso drink you could want.
- This machine has a swiveling water reservoir that makes it easy to fit onto any modest kitchen countertop.
Things We Don’t Like:
- The capsules are expensive compared to the OriginalLine pods, and there are no third-party options, meaning you’re stuck paying premium prices for the capsules.
- The capsules in the Nespresso VertuoPlus are larger and take up more storage space.
The Bottom Line
The Nespresso VertuoPlus is the perfect coffee machine for anyone who wants a great cup of classic coffee house coffee without having to hassle with grinding beans and filters. With its simple and intuitive design, it’s perfect for just about any coffee lover, no matter how little experience they have with the brewing process.
If you’re willing to pay a higher price for the machine upfront and can handle the long-term added cost of the capsules, then this is an excellent choice!
The Nespresso VertuoPlus Deluxe
The Nespresso VertuoPlus Deluxe comes with a range of features to help you make a perfect cup of coffee, including an adjustable cup holder, automatic shut-off, and a descaling function. There are two versions of the VertuoPlus Deluxe manufactured by Breville and De’Longhi.
Overall, the VertuoPlus Deluxe is a great machine for anyone who wants convenience and high-quality coffee without having to go to a café. But it’s very similar to the VertuoPlus model, and it’s hard to justify the higher price with the few added features.
Things We Like:
- The VertuoPlus Deluxe creates espresso drinks (and regular full-sized coffees) up to 17 oz at a time, a larger capacity perfect for heavy coffee drinkers.
- The large 57-ounce removable tank should be all you need to serve up plenty of coffee on a daily basis!
- The internal mechanism’s solid construction means your machine will likely last for years.
- Simple and minimalist design with an easy-to-use single-button operating system capable of using five different kinds of coffee capsules
- It takes less time for the Nespresso VertuoPlus Deluxe to heat water (around 15 seconds for the Vertuoplus Deluxe vs. the VertuoPlus 20-second heat-up time).
Things We Don’t Like:
- The coffee temperature isn’t as hot as with the OriginalLine machines.
- The VertuoLine coffee capsules are more expensive than the OriginalLine version, and since the VertuoLine machines have capsule scanning technology, there are no compatible third-party capsules available.
- Despite being more expensive than other Nespresso machines, the Nespresso VertuoPlus Deluxe does not add significant value to our coffee experience when compared to the VertuoLine Plus.
The Bottom Line:
The Nespresso VertuoPlus and the VertuoPlus Deluxe may have very minor differences in appearance, but overall there is not much difference between the two coffee machine models. However, the slight differences that exist may make the VertuoPlus Deluxe worthwhile.
The De’longhi version has a larger water capacity (not so with the Breville version). Also, the faster heating time could be a big plus for some. So who might choose the VertuoPlus Deluxe over the VertuoPlus? If you’re someone with a large household of coffee drinkers, this machine might be the option for you!
If you’re in the market for an exceptional coffee machine from Nespresso’s VertuoLine, we recommend going with the VertuoPlus. While the VertuoPlus Deluxe has a few nice features, like a larger water tank and a slightly faster heating time, there’s not really much additional value to justify the higher price point.
Unless you’re serving multiple people a day and need the largest water reservoir you can get, we say, save your money and go with the VertuoPlus.