If you’re on the hunt for a Nespresso machine to upgrade your morning routine, you may be wondering which model is best for you. Traditional espresso machines are great, but they can be pricey and can’t match the convenience and ease of use you get with a Nespresso machine. So, should you go with the Nespresso Pixie or VertuoLine? Read on to find out!
Some Background on Nespresso
Nespresso is a coffee company that offers a huge range of coffee and espresso machines, along with single-serve coffee capsules and other accessories. Nespresso machines are available in 64 countries, and Nespresso as a brand is a trusted name synonymous with convenience and user-friendly machines.
Nestle first filed the patent for the first single-serve capsule coffee machine in 1976, and today, Nespresso is a well-known brand famous for its single-serve home espresso makers and its line of compatible coffee capsules. In fact, more than 14 billion coffee capsules are sold every year.
Why Should You Choose a Nespresso Machine?
There are many reasons that Nespresso espresso makers are a popular option. Do you love a delicious cup of espresso or a regular latte/cappuccino/flat white? Coffee shop visits can get expensive, and you probably have a busy morning routine that gives you only a few minutes to spare to prepare your coffee.
Nespresso’s machines all feature a quick and easy one-touch brewing process so that you can get all the rewards of a great cup of coffee or espresso without the hassle or time it takes to pull a shot from a traditional machine.
If you’re looking for a brewer that’s a step up from the traditional drip machine, but you’re not ready to invest in an espresso machine (or don’t want to learn how to pull a shot), then Nespresso machines are a happy medium.
Are There Any Downsides to Nespresso Machines?
While Nespresso machines have a lot going for them, there are definitely a few downsides to consider before taking the plunge. Not all Nespresso machines are compatible with third-party capsules, so you will have to buy Nespresso-branded coffee capsules, which can become costly over the long term.
Another downside is that you lose a lot of control over your brew when you choose a Nespresso machine. Since they mainly function on a single-touch brewing system, there’s not much room for additional features and settings like water temperature or brew size.
Who are Nespresso Machines Best Suited For?
The brand’s famous single-serve espresso makers are best for those who want a simple, convenient, and streamlined brewing process that’s almost entirely hands-off. Whether you’ve got a hectic morning routine or you’re not interested in a lengthy brewing process, you’ll enjoy having a hot cup of coffee after only a couple of minutes, with little to no work needed.
Nespresso machines are also an excellent choice for those who love to experiment with milk-based coffee drinks and latte art at home. Choose a machine that comes with a milk frother and/or a steam wand, and you’ll be able to unleash your inner barista quickly and easily, without the time and setup that a more manual espresso machine needs.
Nespresso Pixie vs VertuoLine: A Side-By-Side Comparison
Nespresso Pixie Espresso Maker
If you’re looking for a small but mighty single-serve espresso machine that produces quality espresso without the hassle, this is it. One of the biggest perks of the Nespresso Pixie is that it utilizes 19 bars of pressure to create beautiful espresso every time. For context, most mid-range espresso machines brew with around 16 bars of pressure.
You can brew either normal espresso or lungo with the Pixie, making it a bit more versatile if you want to mix things up. Overall, this machine is perfect for espresso lovers who want a quick and easy brew for their morning routine without a bulky or expensive manual espresso machine.
Things We Like:
- The design is quirky and unique, and it’s sure to make a statement on any countertop.
- This machine is compatible with Nespresso’s Original coffee capsules as well as third-party capsules and reusable pods, so you can choose the coffee you use.
- The 19-bar pressure creates delicious espresso with a thick, dense crema.
- This machine is small and lightweight, perfect for small spaces or single coffee drinkers.
- The Nespresso Pixie comes with a 1-year warranty, so you can trust that it’s built to last.
- The stainless steel exterior parts on the Pixie make the machine feel durable, sturdy, and more luxurious.
Things We Don’t Like:
- There are no milk accessories included, which is a bit of a letdown if you’re a fan of latte art and milk-based, delicious coffee drinks.
- The 24-ounce water tank is somewhat small and better suited for one or two users.
- The Nespresso Pixie can’t brew full-sized cups of coffee, so it’s not the most versatile machine you can get.
The Bottom Line
This compact machine is a great option for someone who wants a relatively low-maintenance and inexpensive model that can deliver delicious espresso. The Pixie heats up quickly and has thoughtful features like an automatic cleaning cycle.
However, the lack of advanced features and the small water tank size means it’s not suited for everyone. If you’re looking for a machine with more bells and whistles, or you’re planning on serving several people at once, you may want to pass on the Pixie.
The VertuoLine is not one machine. Rather, it’s a complete and diverse range of coffee capsule machines with different features.
The VertuoLine mainly stands out from the Original machines because the coffee makers utilize a proprietary brewing system called Centrifusion Extraction Technology that rapidly spins the espresso capsule to produce pressure. It creates a “crema-like” coffee foam on top of your cup and offers a unique and luxurious one-touch brewing experience.
Things We Like:
- The water takes only about 15 seconds to heat up, so it’s convenient for busy mornings or multiple uses.
- The VertuoLine machines are sleek and stylish and look great on any countertop.
- The Vertuo coffee capsules come in a variety of flavors, roast levels, and drink styles, from espresso to drip coffee and lungo.
- The 40-ounce water tank on most VertuoLine machines is much larger than the Nespresso Pixie tank and can serve several cups of espresso quickly and efficiently, which is great for entertaining or office spaces.
- Most VertuoLine machines can come bundled with the Aeroccino standalone milk frother, perfect for anyone who loves a good latte or cappuccino.
Things We Don’t Like:
- The water doesn’t get hot enough, and with some blends, that can cause the quality of the coffee to suffer.
- The VertuoLine machines are only compatible with Nespresso’s Vertuo capsules, which means you can’t use third-party capsules or reusable pods. The costs of the capsules can get expensive over time, and you miss out on the vast variety of coffee and espresso choices out there.
- The VertuoLine is a larger machine than the Nespresso Pixie and is generally much heavier, which isn’t ideal for all users and kitchen sizes.
The Bottom Line
VertuoLine machines are different from other capsule coffee machines because of their Centrifusion brewing system. It creates a fluffy coffee foam that’s very crema-like and perfect for those who want something that feels more cafe-quality than a traditional drip coffee.
That said, these machines don’t create authentic espresso, so that’s something to keep in mind before buying. Overall, these machines are excellent if you’re looking for a more premium, automatic coffee brewing experience or you want an espresso producer that can serve several people quickly and efficiently.
It can be challenging to choose a quality coffee machine with so many choices available. You want a versatile, budget-friendly, dependable, and consistent machine. So which one should you choose?
Ultimately, the choice is up to you, coffee fan. If you want a small, simple coffee maker without unnecessary features, you may consider the Pixie. It’s a straightforward machine that does one job and does it well: it can brew delicious espresso quickly and conveniently. However, you will have to spend extra for accessories like milk frothers, which may dissuade some latte-loving coffee fans.
On the other hand, the VertuoLine machines have a lot going for them, too. While they don’t create authentic espresso, they’re stylish, convenient, and better suited for heavy coffee drinkers, larger households, entertaining, or office spaces. The Vertuo capsules offer a variety of different coffee styles and flavors, so you’re sure to find your new favorite.
Both of these machines are excellent alternatives for espresso lovers. When picking out the right Nespresso machine, ask yourself a few questions: What do I need out of my machine? How many people will it serve? What type of coffee drink do I want to make? What’s my budget? By thinking out these crucial questions, you’re well on your way to making the smart choice for your household and lifestyle.