It’s no secret the winter holiday season is much loved by many. The air gets cooler, people get friendlier, and if you’re lucky, a few inches of white, fluffy snow might coat your front yard, looking just like a scene from a seasonal postcard.
But a change in weather and cheerful spirit aren’t the only things the time of year brings. With November and December comes a wide selection of delicious flavors, like gingerbread, toasted cranberry, and, one of our personal favorites, peppermint.
We’re not just talking about candy canes, though. The seasonal staple is often enjoyed in a good cup of coffee — perhaps most frequently in a peppermint mocha.
MORE ABOUT THE MOCHA
If you’re crazy about chocolate, you’ll absolutely love this coffee drink. A mocha, short for mocha latte or caffe mocha, is just a regular latte (espresso and steamed milk) with a few pumps of chocolate syrup added. Pour in a splash of peppermint syrup, and you’ve got the perfect drink to enjoy on a cold winter day.
We’ve long known how well mint and chocolate flavors complement each other, so it makes perfect sense that they’d work together in this drink, too. Don’t believe the hype? Make one at home and try it for yourself!
MAKE A HOMEMADE PEPPERMINT MOCHA
- 3/4 cup of brewed coffee or a shot of espresso
- 1/3 cup of half and half or whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- Whipped cream
- Crushed candy canes
Start the process by pouring your half and half (or whole milk, depending on your preference) into the saucepan and turn the stove to medium heat.
As the milk warms, add vanilla extract, sugar, peppermint extract, and cocoa powder, and stir the ingredients together until bubbles form.
Now, it’s time to brew your coffee or espresso. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy, but the fresher the better. So, if you have a grinder and whole beans on hand, grind your own coffee before you brew it.
Combine the milk mixture with the coffee in a mug and give the drink a stir.
Last but certainly not least, it’s time to finish the drink off. Top with whipped cream and a few bits of crushed candy canes, and you’re done!
Now you’re all set for a cozy evening sipping your coffee while curled up by the fireplace. This homemade peppermint mocha recipe is exactly what you need to get yourself in a cheery mood, whether it’s the holiday season or not.
- ¾ cup strong brewed coffee
- ⅓ cup of half and half or whole milk
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 ½ tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Whipped Cream
- Crushed Candy Cane
- On the stovetop at medium heat combine milk, peppermint extract, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and sugar. Stir constantly until bubbles form and mixture is smooth.
- Put coffee into a mug and pour milk mixture over the coffee. Stir till combined.
- Top with whipped cream and candy canes and enjoy!